Piste Skiing in Pamporovo-Mechi Chal.
Pamporovo is the ski area for novice skiers, with the majority of the beginner pistes to the left of the main lift. The black piste skiing in Pamporovo is to the right of the lift, so take care to check your left and right turns!
A ten minute shuttle bus down the road to Mechi Chal is where you’ll find a bevy of longer intermediate pistes through the trees.
In the main the slopes are gentle and easy to navigate. The longest run (Number 6, the Tourist Track) is a 5.2km trail from the peak to the base ideal for beginner skiers.
There is a black run called ‘the Wall’, those familiar with its namesake in Avoriaz shouldn’t be fooled. Whilst this is the most challenging piste in Pamporovo, those who have skied in the Alps don’t have anything to fear.
Piste Information for Pamporovo-Mechi Chal.
- Ski Resort Altitude: 1,600m.
- Bottom Ski Area: 1,155m.
- Highest Ski Lift: 1,926m.
- Average Seasonal Snowfall: 70cm, supplemented by cannon.
- Kms of piste: 37km, 90% covered by snow cannon.
- Marked Pistes: 20, 60% green/blue, 30% red, 10% black/ski routes .
- No of Ski Lifts: 19, 1 shuttle bus, 5 chair-lifts, 13 drag-lifts/conveyors.
- Mountain Restaurants: 7.
- Snow Parks: No, but it has a half pipe. LED lit night run.
- Longest Ski Run: 5.2km long/ 476m elevation, the Tourist Track.
- Ski Season: early December to early April.
- Main Advantages: Sunny. Family friendly. Perfect for first timers.
- Drawbacks: Nothing very challenging. Shuttle bus from resort to ski base.
Ski Pass Options for Pamporovo.
Most visitors skiing in Pamporovo arrive having booked a package deal. The ski pass, and ski equipment, and ski lessons, are often included in the flight/transfer/accommodation package.
Ski passes for skiing in Pamporovo include access to Mechi Chal. They are available from half a day to 9 consecutive days. A ski pass is also available just allowing access to Mechi Chal.
And as will most ski resorts there are reduced prices for children. The resort also offers a family pass option, from 1 adult with 2 children up to 2 adults with 3 children.
Ski Resorts near Pamporovo.
As previously mentioned, skiing in Pamporovo usually involves booking a package deal. Firstly a flight to Sofia or Plodiv followed by a transfer to resort and then at the end of your stay, a transfer straight back to the airport and home.
The two other resorts in Bulgaria that make the list of the best ski resorts in Bulgaria are also in the south of the country. Both are a two to three hour drive away if you fancy hiring a car for the day.