Piste Skiing on Narvikfjellet.
Skiing Narvik is not really about the pistes. They aren’t really why anyone goes to ski in Narvikfjellet; unless of course, it is on your doorstep.
Most of the north-facing groomed runs start at the mid-station and zig-zag back down through the trees. This is also where you’ll find the ski center, beginners’ slopes and snow park.
Take the chair lift to Linken at 1,003m and there is only one pisted option back to the resort. However, your reason for heading this way is to head further up and explore the back-country, freeride area beyond. Once back near sea-level, when skiing Narvik, the route back is via the cross-country ski tracks to the north east of the city.
Piste Information for Skiing Narvik.
- Ski Resort Altitude: 17m.
- Bottom Ski Area: 118m.
- Highest Ski Lift: 1,006m.
- Skiable Terrain: 110 hectares.
- Average Seasonal Snowfall: 7.5m.
- Kms of piste: 10km.
- Marked Pistes: 15 (9 groomed), 20% green/blue, 40% red, 40% black/ski routes.
- No of Ski Lifts: 6, l cable car, 1 chair-lifts, 4 drag-lifts/conveyors.
- Mountain Restaurants: 1.
- Snow Parks: a family ground, night skiing including a 8km cross-country route.
- Longest Ski Run: 5km long/889m elevation.
- Ski Season: end November to early May.
- Main Advantages: Beautiful scenery, fjords and possibly, northern lights; excellent off-piste.
- Drawbacks: Limited lift-served terrain; limited apès-ski, short days, very cold.
Ski Pass Options for Skiing Narvik.
The Narvik ski season is split into low, until mid-February and high, mid-February onwards. Adult, youth, senior and family passes are available from half a day, up to 10 days and then a month or the whole season.
There is also a non-skier option of a single trip up the mountain.
To make the most of the back-country, guided ski touring and free-riding takes you from the top lift, up a further 300m, to access the best snow fields.
Ski Resorts near Narvik.
In the Arctic Circle, at sea level, on the shores of a fjord; there isn’t much around at all! The nearest ski resort is one of the best ski resorts in Sweden, Rikgransen
Other ski resorts in Norway are in the southern part of the country and some could be visited if you pass through Oslo.