Piste Skiing in Happo One.
Due to getting around 11m of snow each season the piste map belies the true extent of the skiing in Happo One. The runs are perhaps more accurately described as ski zones. In each of these zones there are several options for getting from top to bottom.
The easier skiing in closer to the valley floor, venture higher and the options in the powder zone turn red and black.
Access to the Omusubi and Urakuro off-piste zones are gate controlled and can be closed if conditions are bad.
Whilst many of the runs as designated for expert skiers, those confident on Alpine red runs should be OK, with care.
Piste Information for Happo One.
- Ski Resort Altitude: 760m.
- Bottom Ski Area: 760m.
- Highest Ski Lift: 1,830m.
- Skiable Terrain: 760 hectares.
- Average Seasonal Snowfall: 11m of dry powder snow.
- Kms of piste: 52km, much of it covered by snow cannon.
- Marked Pistes: 16, 2 green/blue, 4 red, 10 black/ski routes.
- No of Ski Lifts: 22, 1 gondola/cable car, 21 chair-lifts.
- Mountain Restaurants: 14 listed.
- Snow Parks: Two, Happo-Banks and Skyline including a half-pipe. The short Nakiyama run is floodlit.
- Longest Ski Run: The Skyline course is 8km long. It runs from Kurobishi to Sakka grounds.
- Ski Season: late November to early May.
- Main Advantages: Amount of snow. Beautiful area. Advanced skiers and off-piste options.
- Drawbacks: The weather, it snows a lot. Can be busy on weekends. Not really suitable for novice skiers.
Ski Pass Options for Happo One.
A ski pass is available for half, one or two days. Peak and off-peak pricing is in place. Prices are discounted for children and seniors.
Additional passes are available for beginners, night skiing, non-skiers and disabled people.
Season passes are also available, either full week or weekdays only.
A Hakuba Valley Ticket is another option for 1 to 7 non-consequetive days. With it you have the option to ski in Hakuba Happo-one, Hakuba Goryu, Hakuba47, Hakuba Sanosaka, Hakuba Iwatake, Tsugaike Kogen, Hakuba Norikura, Hakuba Cortina, Kashimayari or Jiigatake each day. There is a free shuttle bus along the valley bottom linking the resorts.
Finally, the other ski pass option for Happo One anf the rest of the Hakuba Valley is the Epic Pass. If you have any of the EPIC ski passes you are entitled to ski days and other discounts at Falls Creek, Hotham, Whistler Blackcomb, Perisher Valley, Rusutsu, Park City, Vail and Breckenridge. There are obviously conditions and limitations, but if you are a World skier it’s worth a look.
Ski Resorts near Happo One.
Of the other nine resorts of the Hakuba Valley, Cortina, Hakuba 47 and Goryu are most worthy of a visit.
Further afield, but still in Nagono province is Shiga Kogen, the other of the best ski resorts in Japan, and Nozawa Onsen.
Nozawa Onsen is a popular ski resort with both Japanese and International visitors. A really traditional village with hot springs (Onsen) and powder snow.