Piste Skiing in Bansko.
The start of the day when skiing in Bansko is a modern, fast eight-seater gondola ride. It transports skiers from the village to the ski base at Bunderishka. To avoid queues on the return trip here is a floodlit blue piste back to town.
From Bunderishka it is two more fast chair lifts up the north-facing slopes to the top of the resort area. Red or blue ski runs head down to Shiligarnika, or a red and a reddish-black head back to Bunderishka. There are also shorter runs around the mid-station of the gondola.
A selection of groomed pistes with around 900m of vertical drop make for good intermediate skiing. All the ski runs are covered to some degree by snow cannons, this guarantees sufficient snow coverage from December to May.
Piste Information for Bansko.
- Ski Resort Altitude: 930m.
- Bottom Ski Area: 1,600m at Banderishka Polyana.
- Highest Ski Lift: 2,560m.
- Average Seasonal Snowfall: less than 1m, significantly supplemented by cannon.
- Kms of piste: 75km, 90% covered by snow cannon.
- Marked Pistes: 18, 8 green/blue , 11 red , 2 black/ski routes .
- No of Ski Lifts: 18, 1 gondola/cable car, 9 chair-lifts, 8 drag-lifts/conveyors.
- Mountain Restaurants: 12 eateries listed.
- Snow Parks: Yes. 7km of floodlit piste for night skiing.
- Longest Ski Run: 16km long/ 1,600m elevation, from the top station at Todorka Peak all the way to the outskirts of Bansko town.
- Ski Season: mid-December to mid-May.
- Advantages: Excellent value for excellent quality accommodation. Family friendly. Lots of Apres Ski options.
- Drawbacks: Bottleneck at the gondola in town for ski access. Uncovered chair lifts can be cold and windy.
Ski Pass Options for Bansko.
As most visitors to Bansko arrive having booked a package deal the ski pass, and ski equipment, and ski lessons, are often included in the flight/transfer/accommodation package.
Ski passes for skiing in Bansko are available from half a day to 13 consecutive days. There is also a 20 days during the season option as well as a season long pass.
As will most ski resorts there are reduced prices for children, students and seniors. As well as a high and low season price.
Ski Resorts near Bansko.
As previously mentioned, skiing in Bansko usually involves booking a package deal. Firstly a flight to Sofia or Plodiv followed by a transfer to resort and then at the end of your stay, a transfer straight back to the airport and home.
The two other resorts in Bulgaria that make the list of the best ski resorts in Bulgaria are in the south of the country. Both are a two to three hour drive away if you fancy hiring a car for the day.