Piste Skiing in Valle Nevado.
The peak of El Pomo at 5,340m overlooks the all the skiing in Valle Nevado. The resort hotels are perched on a cliff edge at an altitude of around 3,000m. So there is always plenty of snow, but not very much air!
The ski lifts zig-zag up the mountain ridge from the resort, all giving access to the western slopes of the mountain. More advanced skiing in Valle Nevado can be found by popping over the top of the ridge into the next valley and its base station at Base Ballicas.
The furthest and highest point of the ski map is Tres Puntas at 3,670m. Further and higher than that and you’ll need a guide and/or a helicopter.
Piste Information for Valle Nevado.
- Ski Resort Altitude: 3,025m.
- Bottom Ski Area: 2,860m.
- Highest Ski Lift: 3,670m.
- Skiable Terrain: 900 hectares.
- Average Seasonal Snowfall: 8m.
- Kms of piste: 40km, 19 snow cannon.
- Marked Pistes: 37, 14 green/blue, 16 red, 7 black/ski routes .
- No of Ski Lifts: 14, 1 gondola/cable car, 5 chair-lifts, 8 drag-lifts/conveyors.
- Mountain Restaurants: 10.
- Snow Parks: Yes, including a super half-pipe. night skiing.
- Longest Ski Run: 4km long/ 570m elevation.
- Ski Season: June to October.
- Main Advantages: Snow making. Off-piste. Proximity to Santiago.
- Drawbacks: Busy at weekends. Not really suitable for beginners. Altitude Sickness.
Ski Pass Options for Valle Nevado.
A Valle Plus card can be bought online in advance and offers a discount pack of 5 or 10 day tickets as well as a season pass. There is also an option to buy a ski pass which includes access to La Parva.
In resort, your accommodation will issue your ski pass for the number of days of your stay. Reduced prices are applicable for stays for a full week, students, children and seniors.
Valle Nevado is also a member of the Mountain Collective and offers ski days to IKON pass holders. Check the IKON website for the latest deal.
The Mountain Collective includes some of the most iconic ski resorts in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Chile and Europe. Skiers with a full IKON Pass can take up to 7 days skiing in Valle Nevado, whereas those with an IKON base pass get five.
Ski Resorts near Valle Nevado.
Chile has a second ski resort in list of the best, at Ski Portillo. This is a 3 hour trip back down the mountain via Santiago.
On the road to Valle Nevado from Santiago you’ll also pass El Colorado and La Parva. Together these three resorts make up the Three Valleys of Chile. Due to their proximity to Santiago they are all weekend favourites with locals.